News: Enough Said
If you’re attending AHR Expo 2018 in Chicago, Illinois, January 22-24, be sure to stop by Booth 2910. A variety of Franklin Electric and Little Giant® branded HVAC pumping innovations will be on display, including:
- Inline 1100 SpecPAKTM Pressure Boosting System – It connects easily to nearly any plumbing configuration to provide an easy-to-size water pressure boosting solution for numerous HVAC applications. Contractors simply determine how much water is required to be boosted to the desired constant pressure output and the system comes properly packaged. The pump itself, the Franklin Electric Inline 1100, is a quiet, all-in-one constant water pressure system that contains the pump, motor, and drive in a compact package. As water volume needs increase, the pump instantly accelerates to the proper speed to ensure the water pressure stays constant throughout the application.
- Inline Controls – The family includes five pump starting and control devices that pair with a variety of submersible or surface pumps up to 20 amps (or approximately 2 hp) to provide or boost the system’s overall water pressure – and in many cases, without the need of an additional bladder tank. Depending on application requirements and selected model, the product family offers various forms of system protection, including dry run, dead head pumping, over amperage, locked system, and over pressurization. They also offer two unique features that ensure the system remains functional and hassle free, including: a daily motor rotation start designed to energize the motor at least once every 24 hours to prevent system locking, and a unique automatic restart feature eliminating the need to manually restart the pump in the case of an unexpected trip or fault.
- Updated Little Giant Inline 400 Pressure Boosting System – It now comes rated as a NEMA 3R outdoor system. The Inline 400 is constructed of UV-resistant materials and comes standard with a protective weather cap to be used for maximum protection of the unit when mounted vertically in outdoor applications. Once the Inline 400 is installed, the cap is easily attached over the top of the unit using an affixed Velcro button. It is UL classified for water quality mechanical device, NSF/ANSI 61 and 372, and Cold Water 6R21. In addition, the Inline 400 is now available for order with a 2-liter expansion tank at no additional cost. The standalone Inline 400 unit can be purchased should it be needed to meet customer’s installation needs.
- Proven Little Giant VCMX-20 Series of Condensate Pumps – It features a slim footprint for installation flexibility in tight areas, and a unique mounting bracket for easy mounting and removal. A 1/4-turn check valve allows for servicing without the removal of tubing to eliminate water spills, an external overflow switch automatically detects high level water, and an external test lever allows for quick testing of the pump or tank drain ability when needed. During a replacement of the pump with a new VCMX-20 Series, zero tools are needed for installation.
For more information about the AHR Expo 2018, click here.
The Little Giant® Inline 400 Pressure Boosting System is now available for order with a 2-liter expansion tank at no additional cost. The standalone Inline 400 unit can be purchased, should a different size or style tank be needed to meet installation needs. If additional 2-liter tanks are needed for other uses, or as a replacement part, they can be purchased independently.
For more information about the Little Giant Inline 400, click here.
Franklin Electric’s commitment to innovation and continual improvement means that we evaluate and incorporate new technologies into our existing products, services, and processes to continuously increase value for our customers.
As a result, we have made the following minor changes to the EC-1-DV Series Mini Condensate Pump:
- A minor circuit board design change has been implemented
- A new connector for the power cable has been incorporated
Effective immediately, new item numbers have been established for the EC-1-DV and EC-1K-DV 110-240 V 50/60 Hz models. The current item numbers 553505 and 553515 are discontinued and production has transferred to the new item. Orders will be automatically converted to the new models. Please update your systems to reflect these new item numbers to minimize any disruption to your receiving process.
Note: Electric cable from existing product will not connect to the new product and vice-versa. If a new model replaces an installed existing model, the included electrical cable supplied with the new model will need to be used. There has been no change to the product performance or dimensions.
Model Number Information
Product model and item numbers changed:
For more information about the EC-1-DV, click here.
In preparation for one of the most terrifying storms to ever hit the area, a homeowner recently turned to the Little Giant® 5-MSP Sump Pump to dewater his lawn. The result: His house was saved. Here’s the story he shared with us.
“Recently, I purchased a house and found a Little Giant 5-MSP sump pump in our garage. I didn't think much about the product until Hurricane Harvey struck our house. Our backyard was taking on water faster than the existing drainage could handle. So, very late in the night, my wife and I set up the sump pump in the large puddle/low spot of our yard and within minutes all the water was displaced to the front yard through our garden hose.
To go into more detail, I had recently been planning to install a dry well and implement a sump pump with some drainage lines to remove collected water, but I was only able to afford (financially and time-wise) to install the dry well. When Harvey was first approaching, it was a Category 1, however it very quickly turned into a Category 4 before the rain reached our neighborhood. My dry well filled up quickly and the existing drainage line, that the previous owner had installed, was overwhelmed and the water had nowhere to go because its exit point was completely flooded. We tried pushing and directing water out to our driveway which slopes toward the street, but the rain was coming down faster and in a greater quantity than our current methods could handle. I rushed into the garage to get an idea of what to do and there sat a box that I had never paid attention to that read “sump pump”. At this point, I was praying that it wasn’t too old (previous owner passed in 2011) and that it would fit our garden hose. To my relief, it turned on and the hose fit perfectly. We sat it in the deepest point of water and the pump started removing the water faster than I thought it would. The water was about to reach our house, but not 10 minutes later all the water had been diverted out to the street via the pump and garden hose. We ran this pump for hours on end for multiple days and it never once had any complications. We thought the rain was coming down faster than the pump could remove it, but after pumping for about 2-3 hours in the low spot and being heavily rained on, the water receded and was diverted out of the low spot.
I truly mean that our house would have flooded from the backyard if it weren’t for this sump pump that we found in the garage. I didn’t want this product to go unnoticed or unrecognized. I was certain that we were going to fry it at some point or it would overheat but it never did. It kept going even through the heaviest rains that Houston has ever had. I am amazed and extremely grateful for such a fantastic product. The Little Giant sump pump truly saved our house from taking on water. Thank you, thank you, thank you for creating such high-quality pumps.”
--- Logan Knowles, Houston Homeowner
Franklin Electric is excited to announce the launch of the much-anticipated Inline Controls! The new Inline Controls include five pump starting and control devices that pair with a variety of submersible or surface pumps to provide or boost the system’s overall water pressure – and in many cases, without the need of an additional bladder tank. Depending on application requirements and the selected model, this product family offers various forms of system protection. They also offer two unique features that ensure the system remains functional and hassle free, including: a daily motor rotation start designed to energize the motor at least once every 24 hours (to prevent system locking), and a unique automatic restart feature eliminating the need to manually restart the pump in the case of an unexpected trip or fault.
Features by Model
Note: Proper pump selection is essential for use with the InlineFLW, SWC, SWP, and ADJ as pump shut-off pressure will be realized within the system prior to shut down. If the pump size can not be reduced, select the InlineCTL with built-in pressure reducing valve.
Ideal applications for the Inline Controls family include: well systems as a replacement to a standard 30/50 switch and tank combination, garden or watering applications that are long distances from a well, municipal boosting applications, and other water pressure boosting applications where a bladder tank is not conducive.
Prefer a video explanation? Click here to hear our product expert explain a little more about this new product.
The Turtle Survival Alliance had a challenge, and Franklin Electric’s Little Giant® brand is providing the solution. Franklin donated 13 Little Giant brand pumps, including the Little Giant 6EC Sump Pump, to help safely provide a stress-free environment for the turtles. Previous pumps did not adequately transfer large volumes of water to the cooling system in the greenhouse, so the Little Giant 6EC Sump Pump was shipped next day to the facility. It was quickly back up and running properly, providing cool air for the turtles and vegetation inside the greenhouse to simulate their natural habitat.
Roughly, 85% of the cleanwater pumping systems that we sell, and our contractors install, are run on a basic switch and bladder tank that come on and off with a pressure differential. Many of these pumping systems, unfortunately, underperform every day. This doesn’t have to be the case. With Franklin Electric’s new* Inline Controls product family, which are fully compatible with Little Giant® brand pumps, maximizing the output and flow of the pumping system can be a simple reality. Our own Jeff Frank talks about about how contractors can meet peak pumping demand and provide the proper system protection by choosing the right control device.
*Note: Inline Controls scheduled launch date is August/September 2017.
Contractor Time Saver: VCMX-20 Series of Condensate Pumps Still Simplifying the Install & Serviceability Process
The Little Giant® VCMX-20 Series of Condensate Pumps continues to prove its value to contractors with the automatic collection and removal of condensate from air conditioning, refrigeration, and dehumidification equipment when gravity drainage is not possible or practical. Here’s what one of our loyal customers recently said when asked about Little Giant and the VCMX.
“I back up everything that I do. I put it in writing. If the customer feels happy and secure about what I want to do, and I use the right products, then everybody is happy. I do not want to come back to the house. If I am installing a new system and I have to come back a month later I don't look good and my product doesn't look good. The best part about Little Giant products is that I don’t have problems; I don’t have repeat calls. So, with no repeat calls is a happy customer.” - Brian Heyman, Absolute Control HVAC Corp.
What makes the VCMX-20 Series unique is that it is designed to be the easiest condensate pump on the market to install, service, and/or replace – thus allowing contractors to quickly install the pump and get on to other jobs. Contractor- and application-friendly features include:
- Its slim 4.8-inch by 10.2-inch by 6.5-inch footprint allows for installation flexibility in tight areas
- A unique mounting bracket slips onto the pump for easy mounting and removal
- A 1/4-turn check valve allows for servicing without the removal of tubing to eliminate water spills
- An external overflow switch automatically detects high water levels
- An external test lever allows for quick testing of the pump so the contractor can be sure it’s ready to work properly, and it provides the ability to easily drain the tank when needed
- Rubber feet to absorb vibration and reduce noise on hard surfaces
- During a direct replacement utilizing a VCMX-20 Series, zero tools are needed for installation, making the replacement process even faster
The VCMX-20 Series has a pumping performance of up to 84 gallons per hour and is offered in both 115 V, 60 Hz and 230 V, 50/60 Hz models. An optional anti-sweat sleeve is available for applications where high humidity causes condensation on the outside of the tank. In addition to normal condensate applications, the unit is suitable for high efficiency oil and gas-fired condensing furnaces and condensing boiler equipment.
For more information about the VCMX-20 Series, click here.
What an amazing cause! Franklin Electric recently partnered with the Turtle Survival Alliance (TSA) – a nonprofit organization focused on achieving zero turtle extinctions – to improve the habitat for some of the most endangered turtles in the world.
Why is this Important?
Turtles have been roaming the water and earth for nearly 220 million years, making them one of the oldest species and one of the few to outmatch the dinosaurs in existence duration. They are essential to our ecosystem, helping clean up the environment by serving as aquatic scavengers. And yet, more than 50 percent of the 330 species alive today are threatened with endangerment. The TSA’s South Carolina location, known as the Turtle Survival Center, houses nearly 650 freshwater turtles and tortoises, including 21 of the world’s 25 most critically endangered species. Franklin Electric recently donated 13 Little Giant® brand pumps to help create more stress-free environments that simulate the original habitat for these endangered species. This includes the Little Giant 6EC Sump Pump that is now keeping a greenhouse containment area cool and ideal for the turtles. Check out the video to see the impact our pumps are making on a global scale.
Franklin Electric has appointed Donald P. Kenney as President, North America Water Systems. In this role, Kenney will be responsible for all aspects of the North America Water Systems business that supports the sale of Franklin Electric products – including the Little Giant® brand – to customers in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and Central America.
Kenney was hired as FE Petro employee number five in 1991. Over the years, he has assumed increasing levels of responsibility, becoming President of FE Petro in 2001, and then President of Franklin Fueling Systems in 2005. In 2013, Kenney was appointed a Vice President of Franklin Electric Co., Inc. and promoted to President, Energy Systems.